This morning at our house

I am a morning person.  I know, I know.....I'm an endangered species - rare, but beautiful (if I do say so myself, hehe).  I love mornings.  It's like a fresh slate, a new beginning, a gift of grace.  Most of my kiddos are morning people too. I always enjoy their company in the mornings (ok, I admit it's more like MOST of the time I enjoy it).  This particular morning was full of silent bursts of laughter from me as I listened to the humorous things my children had to say.

My husband had a very early appointment this morning and when I awoke, I found him gone and all three children in my bed.  As the children awoke, I was inundated with questions to the location of Daddy.  They like to come, one by one, into my bed in the morning and take turns snuggling and giving him kisses.  As I answered their questions, my second born began to cry.  My heart immediately started to melt as I thought, "AW!! Scott will be so glad to hear how much he misses him!"

I asked my son, "What's the matter, sweetie?"
"I CAN'T FIND MY LIGHT-SABER!!!" he replied

What?! Light-saber?! He is crying over a light-saber?  But, being the Mommy I am, I simply replied, "Well,
remember I put it up because you were hitting your brother and sister with it.  Sorry, Buddy, but that's what happens when you hit people."
"Mom," he says, "if I promise not to hit anyone today, can I get it back?  PLEASE?! I promise!  Hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye!"  Needless to say, I had to walk out of the room on that one...a four-year-old telling you a promise like that is enough to make the most religious monk burst forth in laughter. I kept my resolve and the light-saber stayed in time-out.

After getting everyone ready for the day, we moved on to breakfast and devotions.  My oldest son served cereal and Mommy prepared her morning coffee.  We sat down at the table to begin devotions.  Our devotion was about David and Goliath.  We talked about how tall Goliath was (over nine feet) and how heavy his armor was (125 pounds).  We also talked about the courage David had.  In our devotion, a couple questions were asked: What giants do you have in your life?  What can you do to defeat them?

Since my oldest son had answered all my questions so far, I decided to direct this question to my second son first.  "What giant do you have in your life, Elijah?"
He thought hard, then counting on his fingers, he answered, "There's a red one, a green one, and I think there's a blue one too."
My oldest son must have seen the puzzled look on my face, because he piped up, "I think he is naming off the different types of Hulk characters."
HAHA!  Where do they get this stuff?! "That's not the kind of giants I mean, honey," I replied. "Listen to Gideon.  Gideon, can you tell me your giants?"
Gideon replies, "I have a Candy giant."  Again, I must have come up with a bewildered look on my face.  He continues, "I got a lot of candy for Christmas.  I know that I should ask before I eat them, but sometimes I just want to go grab it anyway."  Ah, lightbulb.  Now I got it.
Back to Elijah, "So now can you tell me about your giants?"
"Well," he replies as he puts his finger on his cheek in a thinking position, "I think Mammy's monster at her house (the sink disposal) is blue..." Ok....lets just move on, shall we? lol.

We moved on to the next question.  I asked, "Gideon, how would you have defeated Goliath?"
"I would have just shot him.  That would have been much easier.  And more accurate." he replied.  That's my Gideon.  He loves to hunt, loves his guns, bow and arrow, and knife.  I expected an answer like that from him.  After he answered about defeating his Candy-giant, I moved on to Elijah.
"If I had my LIGHT-SABER," he replied with a sassy look, "I would just cut him." Goodness.  That kid is too smart for his own good.

Mornings at my house are interesting, to say the least. Anyone who thinks that God doesn't have a sense of humor should hang out at my house sometime.  That opinion would be quickly changed, I assure you.

"And He (Jesus) said, "Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven."  Matthew 18:3-4

Want to know what devotional we use at our house?  Check out this one!

1 comment:

I love visiting other's blogs & don't mind them being placed here in the comments, only please be courteous and post a link back to my blog onto your blog. Thanks!!

**Please note that any lewd or disgruntled comments will not be tolerated**

This morning at our house

I am a morning person.  I know, I know.....I'm an endangered species - rare, but beautiful (if I do say so myself, hehe).  I love mornin...